A$AP Rocky To Stand Trial In A$AP Relli Case
A$AP Rocky (born Rakim Mayers) will have to stand on trial in January. He is accused of firing a semi-automatic handgun at his childhood best friend A$AP Relli (born Tyrell Ephron). On Monday (Nov. 20), Judge M.L. Villar ruled that Mayers stand trial for the Nov. 6, 2021 incident.
Mayers previously pleaded not guilty to the two counts of assault with a semi-automatic firearm. According to legal documents obtained by PEOPLE, Relli filed a civil suit for assault, battery, and emotional distress against Rocky on Aug. 10, 2022. The “Fashion Killa” rapper has also denied those claims.
“Defendant generally denies each and every allegation of the complaint, and specifically denies that Plaintiff has been damaged in any amount or in any way as a result of any act or omission of answering defendant. The injuries and/or damages complained of in the complaint, if any, were caused solely, directly and proximately by the negligent and/or intentional acts or omissions of person other than answering defendant,” Mayers’ attorneys wrote in a response to the civil suit.
“I am certain Rocky will be vindicated of all of this,” Joe Tacopina, Mayers’ lawyer, said outside the courthouse on Monday according to the publication.
A$AP Relli’s Recount Of 2021 Incident
Ephron’s attorneys, Jamal Tooson and Brian Hurwitz, previously said in a statement, per Rolling Stone, that Relli was lured to an obscure Hollywood location “to discuss a disagreement between the two of them,” when the incident occurred.
“Unbeknownst to Mr. Ephron, A$AP Rocky was not just planning for a conversation and came armed with a semi-automatic handgun,” the statement alleges. “After arriving at the location, a conversation ensued whereby without provocation, warning, or any justification, A$AP Rocky produced the handgun and intentionally fired multiple shots at Mr. Ephron.”
Relli, who served as a talent manager and producer for the A$AP mob, says that Rocky inflicted minor injuries to his left hand. Relli’s attorneys state that since the shooting, he has received “multiple death threats and irreparable harm to his career in the entertainment industry as a result of this incident.”
The “L$D” rapper’s trial is set to begin on Jan. 8.